The documentary Food Inc is an expose of the food industry. It shows how corrupt the industry is through interviewing farmers and laymen who are affected by the industry. The video is trying to show that certain food companies have monopolies and take advantage of this by pressuring their farmers. It criticizes how companies don't produce animals but produce food, don't work in healthy and clean ways, don't specify whether foods are genetically modified or not on labels, have made it cheaper to buy unhealthy foods than it is to buy healthy foods and are so far reaching consequences that they have control over most government agencies.
Though the information that the movie provided was interesting and I don't think I would have learned it anywhere else, I did not find it influential. One reason that it did not influence me is because I keep kosher, and do not eat all the same foods that the movie discussed. So although I'm sure there is curruption in the production of kosher foods as well, I did not learn about that from the film, and found much of the information did nto apply to me and the food I eat.
The main reason that I did not find the movie influential is because it was so clearly biased. It only gives one side of the story, which portrays the government and big companies as the villains who are out to get you, and never once gives an explanation from the other point of view. It does say that many of these companies and people refused to be interviewed for the film, but if they tried they could probably have found people who were willing. Furthermore, the people who refused probably did so because they knew that no matter what said in the interview, it would be cut and edited until it fit with what the movie was trying to say about them. We see this throughout the movie, and especially at the very end of the movie, when there are a number of scenes with propaganda-y statements about the industry and about what consumers can do to fight back. These scenes are meant to influence viewers and remind them that they have the control. However, I did not find them influential. Not only did they make me feel like there were probably subliminal messages in the background, they did not provide information for how consumers could fight back as they were encouraging us to - all it said was that we should buy healthy foods. The fact that the film was so biased and full of propaganda made it extreme and untrustworthy.
No comments:
Post a Comment